Treatment of alcohol addiction – 7-day procedure
Alcohol has been one of the most prevalent and most used psychoactive substances since ancient times, and its harmfulness has always been known. However, this has not prevented people from misusing alcohol.
Alcohol is a drug which causes most problems in people. The main reasons for this are the availability, legality, and social acceptability of alcohol consumption.
Symptoms of alcoholism:
- Behavior changes as the addict changes his personality, becomes aggressive, irritable, and dissatisfied. The only goal in life is the daily consumption of alcohol.
- If the addict had plans, reputation, hobbies, the family he cares for, it all fades, and the only priority becomes alcohol. This results in divorce, family breakdown, loss of job, and social status.
- The occurrence of psychological addiction – the desire and mental need to feel alcohol pleasant effect again are developed. The problem is in the patient, in the disease and inability to control. Various excuses are mechanisms of psychological protection and an attempt to avoid taking personal responsibility.
- Withdrawal syndrome – very difficult and dangerous condition. After consuming large amounts of alcohol, the person getting sober feels nervousness, trembling, tremor, heart palpitations, nausea, dizziness, and sweating. It is the so-called hangover.
As time passes, these symptoms are becoming more and more intense, and the hangover becomes extremely difficult to bear. People look for a means to help them cope with the crisis and find it only in an additional amount of alcohol. Thus, people develop a habit of regular use of alcohol for they need a drink only to feel “normal” and to avoid hangovers. Although they give false promises that they will no longer drink, the cycle continues.
The effects of chronic alcoholism
This is the third stage of alcohol addiction, in which changes in the body are almost irreversible. Metabolism and nutrition are impaired, the appearance, skin, face of addicts changes, tremor, and changes in movement occur. Memory is getting worse, leading to a breakdown and dementia.
The liver, blood vessels, heart, and other internal organs are destroyed, and the addict’s days are numbered. It is never too late to prevent total destruction, but the problem is that addicts refuse treatment for a long time as they do not consider themselves ill.
Phases of treatment of alcohol addiction
Diagnostics – the first and significant phase of treatment during which the physical and psychological state of the patient is assessed. The standard diagnostic examination for physical condition assessment includes:
- urine test,
- tests for hepatitis B and C, HIV infection,
- general blood analysis,
- blood biochemical testing,
- an internist examination.
The standard diagnostic examination for assessing the psychological condition involves psychodiagnostics (psychological tests are used to determine the level of addiction, the consequences of the use of substances on mental health, to detect the signs of psychological disorders, the presence of depression, the degree of motivation for healing).
Having made the diagnosis, the team of doctors examines the findings and develops treatment strategy and plan. If there are risk factors or some chronic illness, additional tests are carried out, and therapy is prescribed. It is possible to do MRT, EEG, ultrasound, X-ray, endoscopy, medicine, and drug concentration analysis, cardiac examination, neurological examination, endocrinological examination … These are all additional tests that are not included in the package price.
Detoxification – Depending on the results of diagnostics, the most appropriate method of detoxification of the body from alcohol is chosen for each patient individually which will best eliminate all the unpleasant and dangerous symptoms of the crisis.
When one consumes alcohol for a long time and in large quantities, he is in the risk of alcoholic delirium and seizures upon quitting. That is why detoxification is crucial and includes not only infusions, vitamins, hepatoprotectors, amino acids, but also the complex of preparations that protect the brain, normalize the work of the heart, liver, kidneys and peripheral nervous system. This program lasts for seven days.
Psychostabilisation – when the withdrawal syndrome passes, addiction is not cured. The key stage enters the scene in which a negative attitude toward alcohol is instilled, and alcohol stops being appealing, and the patient begins to feel comfortable when sober. This is achieved through the following procedures:
- Aversive therapy makes it possible to create an aversion to alcohol at the subconscious level and a negative response to the smell and taste of alcohol.
- N.Е.Т. therapy eliminates alcohol-induced pleasure hormones imbalance.
- Transair therapy is a special procedure that reduces mental tension, nervousness, regulates mood swings, appetite, and insomnia. This therapy leads to the normalization of brain hemisphere functions.
The pharmacological blockade in the form of Disulfiram is scheduled for the end of the treatment. The blockade is an essential component, and it maintains the treatment results. Disulfiram is a medicine that causes an unpleasant reaction when alcohol is taken and exists in the form of tablets, implants, and depot injections. It is recommended that patients be protected with Disulfiram for 12 months.
Anti-relapse outpatient support is crucial for the treatment to be completely effective. The patient and his family should be in contact with the hospital for at least a year. It is necessary to respect the rules of outpatient treatment, to change the lifestyle, to take the prescribed therapy, and to come to follow-ups regularly.
We are here to help you
In case of a need, we also offer transport of patients from the airport or the station to the hospital and back. We help foreign patients receive a visa if they need it, and if they have company, they too can stay in the hospital.
Our professional staff is available to patients 24 hours a day and seven days a week. Our doctors are certified anesthesiologists, psychiatrists, and psychologists with 10 to 25 years of experience. Your safety and security is our priority, the facility is under video surveillance, and the hired security guard takes care of it.